For New Parents

Parent to Parent of Southwest Michigan has compiled a collection of information to assist new parents. The information on this page may be of significant support, inspiration and assistance to you. Please contact Parent to Parent at (269) 345-8950 if you have any questions or suggestions!

Care Notebook

The Care Notebook (developed by the Center for Children with Special Needs) is an invaluable tool which can be printed from the internet for free and inserted in a 3 ring binder. It is a way to organize medical information as well as everything pertaining to the development of your child. You may pick and choose the pages that are relevant to your child.

Request for Parent Mentor

If you are a parent of a child with a disability and would like to be put in touch with other parents who have a child with the same disability or medical condition, please fill out the “request for mentor” application form.

Inspirational Articles For New Parents

Parent to Parent of Southwest Michigan is pleased to present the following inspirational articles for new parents of developmentally disabled children.

Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley

Hope Instead of Despair by Jennifer Parsons

Childrens Special Health Care Services

Childrens Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) pays for specialized medical treatment, equipment and supplies for children with long term health conditions. Eligibility is based on severity and chronocity of a medical diagnosis.

Call (800) 359-3722 to contact your county representative.

Early On Program

Early On is a program for children from birth age to three years of age who have a disability or developmental delay, or a health condition that might lead to a developmental delay.

If you suspect your baby's development is delayed or something is not "quite right" call one of the Early On contacts listed below for a free assessment. If a contact is not listed for your county, please visit Bridges4Kids.

  • Allegan County - (269) 673-2161
  • Barry County - (269) 945-9545 ext. 33
  • Berrien County - (269) 471-7725 ext 169
  • Branch County - (517) 279-5813
  • Calhoun County - (269) 954-9426
  • Cass County - (269) 445-6209
  • Kalamazoo County - (269) 373-3279
  • St. Joseph County - (269) 467-5344
  • Van Buren County - (269) 674-8091