About Parent to Parent
Parent to Parent of Southwest Michigan is a non-profit community organization offering services at no cost to families who have children with disabilities or special needs. Founded in 1998, Parent to Parent serves families in 9 counties and collaborates with other organizations. Since our inception, we have assisted over 1200 families through mentor support, referrals, information, recreation opportunities, a bi-monthly newsletter, parent network meetings and informal social events.
We offer families the following types of assistance:
- Emotional support and guidance through the use of mentor parents who can validate and share experience and hope.
- Monthly parent network meetings
- Connections to support groups
- Informal connections to other parents
- Quick and easy access to information about their child’s disability through our website and library.
- Information about:
- Financial assistance
- Early On® in their county for infants and toddlers
- Community resources, both public and private, including recreational programs.
- Child care and respite options.
- Training, both formal and informal, on how to foster parent/professional partnerships.
- A bi-monthly newsletter on issues specific to raising a child with special needs.
Partnering with professionals
Parent to Parent is committed to collaborating with professionals in meeting the needs of their clients. Referrals are accepted from doctors, hospitals, social workers, psychologists, therapists, educators, child care providers, etc.
Services available to the community include, but are not limited to:
- Educational Seminars/workshops
- Panel Discussions
- Presentations specifically focused on parenting children who have special needs
- Inclusion Support/Disability Awareness Training
Parent to Parent of SW MI promotes opportunities for children with disabilities and special needs to fully participate in society through the support and education of families and communities.